Your pipes are important to your home. Whether you think about them as much as we do or not, your life would be a lot different, a lot worse, without your plumbing system. We wanted to get that out of the way because a lot of homeowners who don’t think about their plumbing in Glassboro, NJ tend to treat their pipes poorly, inevitably leading to some pretty surprising and expensive repair work.
That’s why we’d like to offer a public service announcement about chemical drain cleaners. You see them everywhere on shelves across America, promising an easy process of pouring a liquid into your drain for a clear and convenient finish. However, the process is not that simple and the effects of chemical drain cleaners can be way more devastating than advertisements would like you to think. These chemicals are volatile and highly corrosive, leading to harmful effects on your health, pipes, and the environment.
Not convinced? Keep reading and we’re confident your mind will change.
Whether you’re working with an alkaline or acidic drain cleaner, these chemical compositions can react in nasty ways with your pipe system and the water within them. Alkaline drain cleaners with either sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide might attack drain clogs but can often absorb the water in your pipes and create a clog on its own. Acidic drain cleaners dissolve clogging substances but can also release harmful vapors, dissolve your pipe-lining, and even react violently with other chemicals. All in all, it’s absolutely not worth the risk to use chemical cleaners.
Harmful Side Effects
Chemical drain cleaners can react dangerously with many things in your home, which is what makes it such a harmful substance to use.
- Toxicity. Many chemical cleaners are toxic, meaning they can irritate your eyes and skin with direct contact.
- Toxic Fumes. These chemical compounds produce fumes that can be dangerous to breathe in. They irritate your nose, eyes, and can exacerbate respiratory problems. Not only that, but these fumes stay in your bathroom or kitchen long after the liquid has been poured down the drain.
- Environmentally unfriendly. If these chemicals are harmful to you and your family, imagine how awful they are when they end up in the environment.
- Destruction of Your Pipes. If you pour drain cleaner into your plumbing system, the chemical compounds can oftentimes harm the lining of your pipes and end up causing worse problems later on.
- They Don’t Even Work. Even with all of these negative side effects, drain cleaners like these don’t even work half of the time.
Taking a step back, do these chemical drain cleaners sound like they’re worth the risk? Seriously, don’t dive into a solution that could end up ruining your plumbing system, harming the health of you and your family, and aiding in the destruction of the environment. Give a reliable plumber a call. Plumbers have specialized equipment like augers and hydro jets that can clean your plumbing system and unclog drains without destroying anything in the process.
Do you need help with your slow or stuck drains? Call SPS Mechanical Inc. today! Comfort at your service!