For residents living in Woolwich Township, gas furnace safety is something every homeowner should be aware of during the winter. With a few tips, you can reduce the chances of hazardous situations. Don’t hesitate to call the technicians at SPS Mechanical any time you need a furnace repair or routine maintenance visit.
Regular maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your gas furnace is working safely. It’s also important to make sure that the general area around the furnace is clean to avoid fire hazards. This could make a world of difference with just a few extra hours of work each year.
Here’s a basic gas furnace safety guideline:
- Make sure there’s no airflow restriction by regularly cleaning the fan blower and other components.
- Check the condition of your ventilation system to ensure that there are no obvious signs of damage or that there’s nothing blocking airflow.
- Change air filters as often as necessary.
- A routine maintenance visit is essential to preventing carbon monoxide leaks and other issues with the heat exchanger and other components. Furnaces should be inspected by a professional contractor annually to ensure that everything is working safely.
- For gas furnaces, make sure the pilot light in gas furnaces is burning properly and on at all times, even when it is not in use. This is for safety purposes and efficiency. Call a technician if you are having problems with your burner.
- Annual maintenance should also include a professional inspection and cleaning of ductwork and ventilation systems.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors:
- Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home if you have any gas appliances, especially gas furnaces and boilers.
- Test the carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarms often.
- Make sure your CO detector is up to code, or ask a technician if you aren’t sure.
Call the Woolwich Township gas furnace specialists at SPS Mechanical today for more safety tips or to schedule a routine maintenance appointment with one of our qualified technicians.